Sunday, January 8, 2012

Eyes wide shut...

that's what it feels like when you travel the world, arrive at your destination and then try to sleep.
Circadian rhythm has lost its beat. In an effort to lull myself to sleep I review my soundtrack of favorite songs and try to come up with the words to "Chevy Van," but alas I am left with only the chorus on perpetual rewind. And so the beat goes on and hopefully my rhythm will return.

As we wait for the ever elusive shut eye, we have been enjoying the sights and sounds of Guangzhou. It is a bustling city full of contradictions, modern technology abounds yet police officers patrol streets on bicycles with battery powered lights blinking out their red and blue warnings. I am struck by what looks like to me a city full of individual pursuits and my husband's perception of faces full of sadness.

I am trying to strike a balance between wanting to squeeze in every bit of seeing this and doing that and preserving my strength for the goodness that is yet to come. I am very much at peace here in this foreign land where the only language I know how to speak is love and the only ones who will understand the words of my heart are the two little ones who are now just hours closer instead of worlds away.

3 comments:

  1. Well it is the beginning of Monday here and so I presume you have your babies and are probably trying to get them to bed. I hope things went smoothly today. I've been thinking about you. Post when you can. Looking forward to seeing that your wait has officially ended! Did you get my note about washcloths? I am sure you are exhausted beyond words. Its a wild ride.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you both and hoping that you have your babies with you now and all is going well. Guangzhou is an interesting place. Thank you for allowing us to follow along in this remarkable journey.

    John & Doris

    ReplyDelete