Monday, January 16, 2012

winding down - China Day 10

On Saturday, we ventured out of our hovel and found our way to a, well an excellently managed scenic spot. it was a park with a beautiful lake and a foot path winding along it. There were trees just like the ones from the Wizard of Oz, scraggly and old; I was so distracted by the beauty of my surroundings (-and by the fact that I was with Driveby tourist Dan, no time for absorption, must only get superficial glance and move on :)) that I was unable to read the markers for the trees and plants, so we will be going back tomorrow and I will do just that.
There was a group of older men and women doing some type of exercise (tai chi?) and it was mezmerizing to watch. The girls enjoyed every minute of their outing and contine to enjoy riding along in their carriers.

Later I tried my hand at bargaining with the people in some local shops by the hotel. I am sure they snicker as I leave their shop because bargaining is not my forte and they can spot me coming a mile away. Each person that I have dealt with has been so kind and helpful (yes, I know why wouldn't they be they know they are getting a bargain, and not me). But I enjoyed myself nonetheless.

Sunday brought with another shopping misadventure to the jade pearl market. It was overwhleming and intimidating because they give you the outrageous price on a calculator and then ask you to name your price which is also outrageous because I wouldn't pay anywhere close to the asking price for the beautiful blue jade necklace so I left empty handed and settled on another store in the pearl market where I got the girls pearl earrings, again making my wallet lighter and the shopkeeper happier.

The girls continue to flourish and we have learned the importance of sticking to a schedule with military precision. We are there lady and gentleman in waiting and it brings us great joy to cater to their every whim.

Zoe has gaines so much strength in these few days and has begun crawling with lightning speed. Poppi is growing more confident and her two-tooth grins make our days.

Inwill close for now as tomorrow comes early. We will be up at 5 and out the door at 7:40 on our way to our final hoop - the Consulate.


This how we all feel, tired and ready to come home. (Poppi)

1 comment:

  1. The picture of Poppi is just adorable. We look forward to following the journey each day! I especially like the picture of the little snuggled up on her daddy's chest. Just too cute for words.

    John & Doris

    ReplyDelete